With the increasing popularity of WordPress CMS as a blogging platform, it has now come up with an easiest way to create web store & sell online with just few extra steps needed. And that could become possible with the inception of Woocommerce Shopping cart plugin for WP.
Now WordPress can be turned into a full flagged Web store to sell your products online either digital or physical. You can integrate your shop in your blog itself if you have already running a blog. In this post, I will explain a step-by-step how to create a Web Store with WordPress and Woocommerce Plugin.
Before going ahead, Let me tell you the complete process with steps.
It goes like
- Purchase a Domain
- Get Hosting.(You can skip step 1 as some of hosting plans comes with free domain name)
- WordPress+Woocomerce Installation
- Store Customization
Now we will move to step 2 with detailed hosting guide.
As I said above, SiteGround Provides best Woocommerce hosting with Free Domain Name. So when you choosing Siteground Linux Hosting, You can directly switch to step 2.
Here We Start-
- Open Site Ground Using The Link Given Here(Open Now)
- Sign Up and Choose Your Plan
Here you can choose your plan as per your requirements. For a Medium store, I recommend to go for Go Geek Plan as It offers more power to your store and you can host as many websites as possible with this plan.
- Once you done with choosing your plan, click ‘Order Now’ and enter your desired domain name in new domain registration box.(Click second option if you already have a domain)
- After clicking Proceed Button, It will check the availability of your domain name. If it is available it will take you to the next page where you will be asked to fill in details of your payment and hosting .
In Data center dropdown, select you respective nearby data center of country you expect your traffic from.
Here Highlight 2&3 are completely optional and check them if you wish and click ‘Pay Now’.
- When you are done with payment, navigate to my account page and click on ‘Go to Cpanel‘
- In the Control Panel, Navigate to Softaculous
- Once you click on the Softaculous button, you will be redirected to the page where you will see no of applications with categories like blog,eCommerce etc. On the left side of your screen locate the “Blogs” category, click on it and then click on the “WordPress” link that will appear.
- Click on Install Button and fill the details of your website shown below like title, description, administrative username and password, administrative e-mail etc. and click on the “Install” button. Please note that by default Softaculous will install the application in a “wp” sub-folder. That being said, if you would like to be able to access the website only via your domain name you should delete the wp string from the “Directory” field. If you want to install the application in another sub-folder you should simply type it in the field.
- All done, You have successfully installed WordPress to your website.
Now you will be seeing Your Domain name with its wp-admin extension(yourdomain.com/wp-admin). Open it and you are now in your WordPress admin dashboard. If you are not able to access your website, please mind this note given below-
(If you have not purchased domain from Siteground in above steps and own it already, you need to update Nameservers of you existing domain with your Domain Registrar)
Few steps to change some settings in your wp-admin area-
- Navigate to Settings>Permalink and change it to category/postname configuration for SEO purpose.
- Now click Settings>General and change your Site title/tagline(If you wish to),your email address which you will use in your contact form, Enable registration because it is eCommerce store, Keep new user default role-Subscriber, select other details and Save your settings.
In the next step, we will eCommerce theme in our wordpress.
(To compare any Premium theme Please Visit This Link)
- Now to install a theme, Please click on Appearance>Themes>Add New.
- Search For ‘Shop Isle’ Theme.
- Click Install and Activate the theme.
- To function ecommerce, we need Woocommerce Plugin. To install Woocommerce, Navigate to Plugins>Add New, search for Woocommerce and install it followed by activation.
In the next step, we are going to set up WooCommerce for our store-
After Activating the Woocommerce, You will see this screen on your dashboard.
- Click on Lets Go & on the next page,Create pages required for ecommerce store.
- Fill in all your details on the next step and click Continue. Now you should be on Taxation page look like this, Here click the relevant options and continue
- Now on the next Page, You need to set up payment options. Click the options you want to enable for your store to receive payments.
Thats Done! We have Customized Woocommerce, Next is to customize theme for your store.
- First of all assign a home page to your theme. To do that Go to Pages>Add New
- Name it Home and Change Attribute of page to Front page and publish it.
- Now go to Appearance>Customize>Site Identity
- Fill your store name, tagline and Upload Your LOGO. (To Create a Professional Logo For Free Click Here). Upload site icon and click on ‘Save’ & Go back by clicking on left arrow.
- Same for more customization way you can customize you store with the help of live preview.
In the next tutorial I will show you how to upload a product and configure it.
Thanks for visiting us.